Tuesday 3 November 2015

Book Review: Bane of Innocent by Oliver Phipps




Summary (from Goodreads)

Title: Bane of Innocent

Author: Oliver Phipps

Publication Date: 9 June 2014

Publisher: Gray Door

GoodreadsAmazon – Barnes & Noble






Summary:



"There's no reason for them to shoot us; we ain't anyone" - Sammy, Bane of the Innocent. 

Two young boys become unlikely companions during the fall of Atlanta. Sammy and Ben somehow find themselves, and each other, in the rapidly changing and chaotic environment of the war torn Georgia City. 

As the siege ends and the fall begins in late August and early September of 1864, the Confederate troops begin to move out and Union forces cautiously move into the city. Ben and Sammy simply struggle to survive, but in the process they develop a friendship that will prove more important than either one could imagine. 


My Thoughts:



Hello, everyone and welcome back to Katie’s Corner! Today I am reviewing yet another great book by Oliver Phipps. It is a short story around 4-5 chapters long, but the weight that is left while reading and after finishing the book is immense. I think I have already mentioned this in my reviews, but the way Mr. Phipps writes is fascinating. His writings suck you in the book and do not want to let you go after finishing the book. All of his books are different, I guess, he was trying himself in different genres. This one is a historical fiction.

The story takes place during Civil War in Atlanta. For me as soon as I read words Civil War and Atlanta, the first thing that comes to mind is “Gone with the Wind”. As it was one of the first books I read on Civil War or at least part of it. But let me get back to this story. The story follows a young boy – Sammy. He lives under the house, his mother doesn’t remember him and he has no idea as to who his father is. Every day it’s a battle with hunger for him, as his mother’s “Boss” threw him out of the house. Mostly he’s a character that makes you want to pity him, no, that’s not the correct word, you want to make that child happy. I was amazed at how Phipps could make 7-year olds so apathetic. The way they use words, the way they take in reality for me it is too strange, I was okay with Sammy’s apathy, however Ben made me think: “What is wrong with this kid? Shouldn’t he be crying or something?”

This story is like a snapshot from the past. It shows a different side of the story in whole. As we see some cruel moments, however, they were justified with words: “It was war!” The ending is open. We do see that the boys found a good family to live with, however, that is not the ending. I guess the author leaves it up to us to think how their story ended. I hope you have an hour or so to spare to read this fantastic story. Enjoy it to its fullest and don’t forget to share your thoughts below! Stay tuned for more reviews as well as promos. Don’t miss your next favourite book or manga! Happy reading!

XOXO

Katie

My Rating:





No comments:

Post a Comment