Friday 4 December 2015

Book Review: My Soul to Take by Rachel Vincent (Soul Screamers #1)




Summary (from Goodreads)

Title: My Soul to Take

Author: Rachel Vincent 

Publication Date: 1 August 2009

Publisher: Harlequin Teen







Summary:



She doesn't see dead people. She senses when someone near her is about to die. And when that happens, a force beyond her control compels her to scream bloody murder. Literally.

Kaylee just wants to enjoy having caught the attention of the hottest guy in school. But a normal date is hard to come by when Nash seems to know more about her need to scream than she does. And when classmates start dropping dead for no apparent reason, only Kaylee knows who'll be next.


My Thoughts:


Hello, everyone and welcome back to Katie's Corner! Today I'm starting a series of reviews of Rachel Vincent's Soul Screamers. The series was on my "want-to-read" list for about 2 years and I had the books safely tucked in my laptop for the same amount of time. I remember that I was very intrigued with the plot and I was jumping from joy when I got the books, so I have no idea why I have waited so long to actually read it. but now that I'm looking at it I think I understood. there are 7 primary and at least 4 novellas. So I guess I was repelled by the length of the series. though I have read longer series without batting an eye. 

But enough with my meaningless chit-chat. Time to voice my thoughts regarding this book. if the rating doesn't emphasise, let me say it again: I loved it, and I loved it lots. you might wonder why not full 5 leaves but 4.5? I still had some minor problems, therefore, 4.5 and not 5. but let me start from the beginning! do you remember mythology? yup, the greek and roman for the time being. do you remember Banshees? yup, those women who wore long dresses and wailed when someone died. Nope, you guess correctly, that's what is happening in the book. the idea is that our main character - Kaylee can see if someone is going to die and she wants to scream when that happens. well, it would have been nice if she didn't think that she was going crazy, but that's what her uncle and aunt have subtly told her. not the "best parents of the year" material if you ask me. but you have to meet the real parent too. that just tops the category.

However, everything changes when Kaylee starts getting premonitions and the deaths are too unusual to be right. it doesn't hurt that somehow the hottest senior in school - Nash - starts talking to her and he makes it relatively clear that he's not interested in a "casual hookup". how will Kaylee's life change after she unravels the secrets of her heritage and will she be able to get to the rest of those "unusual" accidents? that's up to you to find out!

Trust me on this: Kaylee and Nash are great characters. Nash especially, I really wanted him to be real and next to me. I was really astonished how the author brought a "conclusion" to the book. I both understood the motif of the "villain" and at the same time I despised her for the choices. but you'll have to dig into mystery yourself. they'll shock you, but you'll start craving more.

To say the truth, the book ends without a real cliffhanger, though it is pointed out that the reaper ran away if I didn't know there was a second book. I wouldn't have guessed it though I would have really wanted to read more about Kaylee and Nash. so on this happy note, I'll leave you either grabbing your copy or continuing to roam my blog to find something more interesting.

Enjoy it to its fullest and don't forget to share your thoughts below! stay tuned for more reviews as well as promos. don't miss your next favourite book or manga! happy reading!

XOXO

Katie

My Rating:




No comments:

Post a Comment