Monday 9 September 2013

Review : Delirium by Lauren Oliver (Delirium #1)

Summary (from Goodreads)

Title:

Author:

Publication Date:

Publisher:

Goodreads - Amazon - Barnes & Noble





Summary:


Ninety-five days, and then I'll be safe. I wonder whether the procedure will hurt. I want to get it over with. It's hard to be patient. It's hard not to be afraid while I'm still uncured, though so far the deliria hasn't touched me yet. Still, I worry. They say that in the old days, love drove people to madness. The deadliest of all deadly things: It kills you both when you have it and when you don't.

My Thoughts:


I really had high hopes before I began reading delirium by Lauren Oliver. I was intrigued to see love as a disease, and a cure for it to be found. But even though I was really motivated to read the book, I really struggled to finish it. And when I opened the second one ( sometimes next books are better ), I just snapped and said: " that's seriously not for me" Though now I reconsider my feelings and as soon as I finish my To Be Totally Reading (TBTR) list of books I will continue to read Delirium Series and will definitely tell you what I thought about it.
" They say that the cure for Love will make me happy and safe forever. And I've always believed them. Until now. Now everything has changed. Now, I'd rather be infected with love for the tiniest sliver of a second than live a hundred years by a lie."
My favourite phrase in the book before and after I read it. And while I thought ( when I first read this quote ) that it was said by a brave girl, when I read the book, the only thing I could say over and over about Lena was : "what a brat!" Yes, there are some good moments with her, when I liked her, but mostly I just tolerated her and disliked.

You'd think it has Hanna to be a spoiled brat, but I actually adored Hanna more than Lena, And I do think it had to be Hanna who had to fall in love and escape all that corrupt and cryptic community. But no, it has to be Lena, who's jealous of her best friend, who is so whiny that it hurts to read. And yes, it has to be her of all people. The one who never rebelled before she "fell in love". And no, her first evaluation was not a rebellion, it was just her mind going blank. If she was a rebel at heart she would have said the same answer again on her second evaluation.

But I want to state a question. And I would like all of my readers to try and answer honestly on it. Is Love really a disease, that leads people to war, suicide and everything else which was stated in Lena's books? Should we really find the Cure For LOVE????

My answer is simple. Love is not a disease, it's a lifestyle and a state of heart, body and mind. I remember learning about many wars, but I remember only one "because of" love: "The Face which launched thousands" I think everybody guessed which war I'm talking about - Trojan War. But still, if you ask me there was more pride and greed involved then LOVE. And to finish my review I would love to quote one of my favourite characters Torin ( form Runes Series by Ednah Walters  )
"True love transcends logic, Freckles, It's a blending of minds and souls..."
"the main reason for wars is Greed. G-R-E-E-D. Five letter word, Mr. Finney. Not four."
Even though I didn't enjoy the book, you may enjoy it, so Happy Reading, and don;t forget to tell me your thoughts.

My Rating:


Characters   2/5
Writing         2/5
Cover            1/5
Plot               3/5



No comments:

Post a Comment