Tuesday 26 November 2013

Book Review: The Amazing Adventures of Toby the Trilby by Angela Castillo




Summary (from Goodreads)

Title:  The Amazing Adventure of Toby the Trilby

Author:  Angela Castillo

Publication Date:  November 1, 2013

Publisher:  Create Space

GoodreadsAmazon – Barnes & Noble






Summary:


 For his entire twelve years, Toby has lived in a shelter underground with his six, scientist creators who accidentally gave him cat ears and a tail. Join Toby on an exciting quest of courage and hope while he searches for answers. Was there a Great Disaster? Did anyone survive? And the most important question of all: Does he have a soul?


The Amazing Adventures of Toby the Trilby" by Angela Castillo is Christian Sci-Fi/Fantasy book written for older children and families. The book will be available for pre-order on October 9th and will be available from Amazon and Kindle on November 1, 2013. Suggested age: 10 and up.


My Thoughts:


I got this book from the author in exchange for a review, all the thoughts below are my own.

When I was little, my parents never spoke to me about God. I never asked, so they didn’t say anything. But when I came to school at my very first class, the teacher asked us: “do you believe in God?” Everybody said Yes, except me, I asked: Who’s that?” My classmates thought I was crazy, but my teacher said: “he’s is the one who made you, us and everything around you that you can and cannot see.” Guess at age of 6 I was already hard to persuade and was too stubborn, and well I was not that naïve to think that children were brought from the sky. My answer was quick: “I was made by mom and dad…” My teacher just smiled, and my parents were asked to come to school after that. That evening my granny asked me to sit with her. She asked me if I believed in God. I said: “I don’t know him, how can I believe he exists?” she chuckled and said: “sometimes you should believe without proof of existence” Guess, I always was a little bit more into science, because I said : “I can’t because first I have to see”

I am 18 now and still have a hard time believing in God and how could I have believed when I was 6? Once, my best friend asked me: “when you have children, how will you tell them about God?” I answered: “I have no idea!” But now I do. I think you are too bored with my speaking about everything but the book, but the truth is, that it all leads us to this short story. To tell about God to my kids, I will give them this short story. Why? Because it is simple, and a little kid can understand it perfectly. But it will always be their choice to believe or not. The book is about a boy who thinks he has no soul, and goes on a quest to find “the Soul-maker”. It doesn’t clash with religion, the God is simply described as a soul-maker in the book. And for a kid it’s enough and easy to understand for the basics. Some days ago, my little sister asked me who was god. Two months ago, I would have had a hard time to tell her, but now, I just remembered this book, and told her what I read in it. For a 6 year old, she wasn’t confused and I was seriously proud of myself.

I think it’s an amazing book for children and parents, but a person of different ages can read it and like it. It is simple, and it is a kind book. And if you had a problem to tell your little siblings or kids who God is, don’t hesitate to read this book, and tell them this simple idea. Happy reading, and don’t forget to leave comments. J


My Rating:





No comments:

Post a Comment